Milk Jug Igloo

    PDR_0502_Small.JPG (51847 bytes) PDR_0511_Small.JPG (50823 bytes) mn_trip_xmas_03_063_Small.jpg (47912 bytes) igloo_done_001_Small.jpg (41117 bytes) igloo_done_002_Small.jpg (40146 bytes) igloo_done_003_Small.jpg (39913 bytes)

Many people email and ask how to put together an igloo.  To answer this, I must first say that you don't really need directions [and I have none to offer].  All you need is a general idea of what you want the igloo to look like, a bit of imagination, lots of milk jugs, a HIGH temperature hot-glue gun, glue sticks (high temp, LONG glue sticks), and a bit of patience.  :-)

Our igloo was made using roughly 535 jugs.  We could sit in the igloo as a class of 12 KINDERGARTEN students (plus teacher).  I don't have the dimensions of our igloo, although, the next time I make one, I plan on measuring it so that I will know how large it was!  :-)

Just a Few Igloo Facts:

[An excerpt from our Classroom Newsletter]

We started collecting jugs at the end of October.

Many students shared that their neighbors and extended families were also involved in the collecting of milk jugs.

We started the construction phases just before Winter Break.

We had originally planned to collect 155 milk jugs as we thought that would do the job nicely.

As we collected the jugs, students helped remove the caps, allowing the jugs to air dry.

We observed that sour milk turns bright green!  A day later we noticed that sour milk jugs smell horrible!

When we were ready to construct, students counted jugs, reunited jugs with their caps, and helped form the igloo's shape.

As we added rows, the igloo began to expand (outwardly!).

Somehow the Door County Advocate found out about our igloo (they wouldn't disclose the "source") and took pictures!

We were in the newspaper two times!!

We had many staff members and classrooms come to see our creation.

Although the igloo looks a bit lopsided, it is VERY sturdy.  We can easily move it to different locations in our classroom.

When we were finished with the igloo, we took off all the caps and grouped them into groups of 10.

We put 10 groups of 10 together, practicing counting by tens.

We had 50 groups of 10.  That's the same as 5 groups of 100!

We noticed that some of the jugs didn't have caps, because the opening were glued into the bottoms of other jugs (door).

We also purposefully left on a few caps, due to the terrible smell some of the jugs were giving off!

All in all, we figured that nearly 35, give or take a few jugs, didn't have caps that we could count.

We are fairly sure we used a total of 535 jugs!